Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense SECRET security clearance is REQUIRED at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position:
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a NETWORK DEFENDER. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
The Network Defender is responsible for implementing and enforcing national, DOD (8500.2, 5200.2-R, etc.) and MDA security policies and directives. Oversees intrusion detection, boundary protection and vulnerability assessment operations to defend the C2BMC component of the Ballistic Missile Defense Communications Network (BMD COMNET) and C2BMC mission systems and services. Develops a network defense visibility display and directs/executes time sensitive adjustments to the network security posture to minimize or counter operational risk. The Network Defender will collect, store and present data and metrics for use by senior leaders to conduct Operational Risk Management (ORM) decisions on the network security posture and perform proactive security functions established to assist BMD organizations in deterring, detecting, isolating, containing, and recovering from information system (IS) and network security intrusions and mitigating known network vulnerabilities. The Network Defender will operate and administer the BMD provided IA/CND suite, to include firewalls, correlated log analysis, intruder alert and related services to protect BMD COMNET infrastructure and information services from internal and external threats. Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The Network Defender must have the following:
- Sound knowledge of and practical experience in the usage of an array of network and information security tools.
- Knowledge of modern computer systems, client/server, LAN/WAN and Network concepts, modern network management and monitoring concepts.
- Ability to recognize known worms/viruses based on their signatures.
- Ability to recognize network intrusion events and to differentiate false positives.
- Ability to recognize successful intrusions and compromises through review and analysis of relevant event logs and other detailed information.
- Knowledge of hardware (Routers, CSU/DSU, bridges, multiplexers, servers and switches configuration).
- Previous experience in the monitoring/management of intrusion detection systems and firewall devices, to include SideWinder, ArcSight, HBSS and/or Tripwire.
- Experience securing network gear against known vulnerabilities
Position requires 24x7 shift work. Candidate will be assigned to a shift, to be determined by mission requirements. Some substitute rotation during off-shifts, including nights and weekends will be required. Candidate will be required to support 24x7 operations at CMAFS. Desired Skills: Certified Ethical Hacker certification. Unix and/or Microsoft operation system training.
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran.
General Dynamics Mission Systems
General Dynamics Mission Systems offers a powerful and robust portfolio of products, services and solutions that help customers successfully execute their missions in today’s dynamic environment. With unsurpassed engineering using an open architecture approach, General Dynamics Mission Systems solves our customers’ most complex challenges by partnering to address current needs and prepare for future requirements.General Dynamics Mission Systems develops products and communication networks that deliver vital information for military, homeland security and public safety professionals. As a prime provider of “network-centric” products and systems, we seamlessly and securely connect users – from the network core to the tactical edge – with the information they need to decide and act. Our world-class capabilities create high-value, low risk solutions for use on land, at sea, in the air and in space.
Mission Systems Acquisitions:
- GD Advanced Information Systems and C4 Systems are combined to form General Dynamics Mission Systems (Jan. 2015)
- Open Kernel Labs (Sept 2012) - IPWireless (June 2012) - Argus Systems Group (Aug 2011) - Fortress Technologies (July 2011) - Ascend Intelligence (January 2010) - Integrated Defense Systems (Feb. 2008)
- Maya Viz (April 2005) - TriPoint Global (Sept 2004) - Motorola's Integrated Information Systems (Sept 2001)
- GTE Government Systems (Aug. 1999) - Ceridian's Computing Devices International (Jan 1998)
Communications / RF Networking, C4ISR, Cyber Security and Defense, Imaging Technologies, SATCOM Services and Products, Maritime Systems, Platform Integration, Training, Modeling and Simulation
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 10,001+