Jr. Cyber Security Analyst
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) seeks a junior Cyber Security Analyst to investigate computer and information security incidents to determine and resolve potential breaches and vulnerabilities; uses and maintains information security tools necessary to ensure the secure operation of IDA’s information system infrastructure; conducts compliance audits, in collaboration with other IT staff, that ensure compliance with information security policies and guidelines.
Executes Information Security Monitoring
- Monitors and analyzes information security alerts from network devices and information systems
- Responds and/or directs the response to information security incidents
- Analyzes indicators of compromise for use in detection
- Reports risk posture of information systems
- Collaborates with industry and government sponsors on new threat indicators
Supports Media Forensics and Malware Analysis
- Forensic analysis of information systems and portable devices
- Forensic recovery of data using industry tools
- Behavioral analysis of malware to provide indicators for monitoring
- Evaluates new information security technologies
- Configures and implement information security technologies
- Validates system hardening and provides guidance for security configuration
- Evaluates network and system security configuration for risk based access control
Supports Information Security Training and Projects
- Develops employee awareness training for relevant information security trends
- Evaluates information security trends, tools and techniques for potential application to infrastructure and research areas
- Manages and/or contributes to information technology projects
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer security, or related technical discipline coupled with one (1) year of experience in information technology; prior cyber security experience is preferred but not required; OR a high school diploma coupled with three years of experience in information technology; cyber security experience is preferred but not required.
- Possesses or ability to obtain within six months an information security certification commensurate with DoD Instruction 8570.
- Familiarity with the process of obtaining certification and accreditation of information systems preferred.
- Familiarity with vulnerability scanners, monitoring, auditing and intrusion detection systems, and forensic response preferred.
- Familiarity with notification of Internet threats, alerts, vulnerabilities, and anti-virus software preferred.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with all levels of employees.
- Ability to obtain and maintain appropriate security clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA)
Sponsors rely on IDA for dispassionate, fact-based, and scientifically rigorous research and advice to inform their decisions. Since 1956, IDA’s basic mission has remained unchanged – bring the best scientific, technical, and analytic talent to bear on issues critical to U.S. National security, in a research environment free of commercial or shareholder interests where objectivity and the public interest are foremost.
The work produced by IDA’s FFRDCs is characterized by unquestioned objectivity and high quality. Because of our unique relationship with our Government sponsors, IDA enjoys unusual access to highly classified and sensitive government and corporate proprietary information. We adhere to a strict regime for avoiding conflicts of interest. We are thus in the position of offering outsider perspectives on important issues with insider access to information.
Our diverse mix of professionals possesses expertise in a broad range of technologies and systems combined with deep knowledge of costs, policies, operations, and organizational matters. IDA continually renews and evolves its staff, integrating those newly educated in the latest advances in research with seasoned veterans of acquisition management, policy-making, and operational leadership roles in government and defense-related organizations. The exceptional creativity, determination, and commitment to service that IDA researchers bring to their work are the foundation of IDA’s excellence.
Technical and policy studies
Company Type: Non Profit
Company Size: 1,001-5000