Cybersecurity Engineer III
Take your next career step with NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Become part of our universe
Relocation Eligibility: Yes
Clearance Options: TS/SCI
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA’s lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
JPL’s Cyber Defense Engineering and Research Group leads the laboratory’s efforts in cyber-focused research and development by:
- Providing guidance and direction on cyber defense strategies for flight programs and projects; developing new cyber defense test and validation methodologies;
- Advancing the state-of-the-art in intrusion detection, diagnosis, and remediation for cyber and cyber-physical systems;
- Engaging in collaborations with the cyber security research community which includes other government agencies, academia and industry; and
- Implementing reimbursable tasks with DoE, DoD, intelligence community, and commercial customers designed to enhance JPL’s cyber security capabilities.
We are seeking qualified candidates to be key members of our growing Cyber Defense Engineering and Research team. If you enjoy the rapidly expanding and evolving field of cyber security, information assurance and space exploration, our group is right for you. Members of our team must be self-motivated, energized by the challenge of finding solutions to uniquely complex problems, and excited about our mission to keep space missions and other critical infrastructure safe from cyber-based adversaries. At JPL, we specialize in one-of-a-kind projects others often deem impossible to complete yet we have an amazing track record of success. If these challenges sound exciting to you, you might be the next member of our growing team at JPL.
As a key member of our Cyber Defense team, your contributions will make a lasting impact across the US Government.
Specifically, you will:
- Consult with Program and Project leadership to advise on cyber security requirements, risks and concerns
- Collaborate with other disciplines to create information assurance requirements implementation plans, cyber defense models, visualizations of risk, and validate defense designs, as well as to determine appropriate models and initial designs
- Incorporate platform and system integration considerations into designs which will establish nominal baseline behaviors, identify anomalies, provide continuous monitoring and assessment of cyber risk
- Generate, interpret, and tailor security and information assurance requirements
- Develop complex test plans and unit tests, participate in testing of system controls and evaluate unit test results
- Participate in security-focused reviews of program/project designs, risk identification, risk mitigation design and analysis, validation of cyber-risk mitigations, residual risk tracking
- Ensure that system(s) and network(s) designs support the incorporation of Information Assurance vulnerability solutions
- Develop material, such as example hacks and social engineering tactics against our own project environments, for awareness and training purposes for our project personnel
What does it take?
Successful candidates typically have a Bachelor’s degree with typically 6 years of related experience, a Master’s degree with typically 4 years of related experience, or a PhD with typically 2 years of related experience.
An active U.S. Government TS/SCI security clearance is also a must.
Other minimum qualifications include:
- Frequent interaction with customers and peers inside and outside the organization on cyber security and information assurance matters.
- Advanced knowledge of cyber security principles (authentication, authorization, encryption, non-repudiation, etc.), secure coding practices, and TCP/IP networking principles and protocols
- Familiarity with programming in Python or another high-level scripting language (Perl, Ruby, etc.) and team-based software development practices (software CM, unit test frameworks, bug tracking, continuous integration, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge in using and securing Linux-based operating systems
- Recent experience with assessing, implementing, and verifying information assurance requirements for a project
- Proven experience driving diverse viewpoints from multi-discipline teams to common solutions
- Familiarity with NIST Special Publications (SP) 800 series and Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS)
- Proven track record problem solving involving complex systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills
You’ll stand out if you also:
- Are familiar with NASA’s Program and Project Management Requirements
- Possess experience with VMware ESXi server, Solaris containers and Logical Domains (LDOMs)
- Bring excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Have familiarity with Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE), Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE), and Common Platform Enumeration (CPE)
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Above all, we are explorers. At JPL we promote collaboration, innovation, integrity and excellence in distinct academic areas. We turn ideas for science investigation into the reality of groundbreaking space missions, partnering with our strategic business teams to guide JPL into the future.
Company Type: Government Agency
Company Size: 5,001-10,000