Malware Researcher (Unit 42)
Disruptive Technology. Smart People.
Join us as we lead a new era in cybersecurity.
Palo Alto Networks competes for the best talent. Our compensation packages consist of salary and equity, and are commensurate with accomplishment. We offer a full suite of benefits, including 401(K). Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Palo Alto Networks™ is a revolutionary and dynamic company creating next generation network security products. If you are a motivated, intelligent, creative, and hardworking individual who wants to contribute and make a difference, this job is for you!
Palo Alto Networks is growing our world-class threat intelligence team (Unit 42) working for our Chief Security Officer and is seeking experienced malware researchers to expand our capability. As a Unit 42 Malware Researcher, you will be responsible for analyzing and reverse engineering new malware with a team of other researchers and threat analysts.
Palo Alto Networks has a widely deployed security platform that gives us access to information on a broad range of threats from around the world. We use this data to better protect our customers, but also as a source for our research to identify threat actors, their motivations and tactics. Our team is tasked with combining our internal and open source data to produce intelligence products that others can use to better understand the threats they face.
Unit 42 Malware Researchers investigate new malware families to identify their functionality and purpose. They create tools to automate and expedite the analysis process and work with threat intelligence analysts to create a more complete picture of how the malware is used by adversaries.
- Analyze malware and attacker tools to assess their functionality, origin and purpose.
- Identify gaps in our collection and analysis processes and propose solutions to close them.
- Produce written intelligence products based on internal and externally sourced data and information.
- Develop small-scale tools to assist with automation of collection and processing of data.
- Present new research at conferences and at customer meetings.
- Respond to Requests for Information (RFIs) from our consumer organizations within Palo Alto Networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and experience working on remote teams.
- Expert knowledge of malware analysis tools such as IDA Pro, Hex-Rays Decompiler, OllyDgb, Immunity Debugger and YARA.
- Experience categorizing and longitudinally analyzing malware families.
- Understanding of malware construction, usage and detection techniques.
- Strong understanding of security operations: perimeter defense, forensics, incident response, kill chain analysis and risk assessments.
- Advanced knowledge of network analysis tools such as Wireshark, TCPDump and Scapy.
- Prior use of intelligence tools such as Maltego, i2 Analyst’s Notebook or Palantir.
- Proficiency in programming or scripting languages such as C, C++, Python or Ruby preferred.
- Candidates must be open to travel requirements (up to 10%).
- BS/MS or equivalent experience required
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Palo Alto Networks prior to having a signed agreement from Human Resources. Palo Alto Networks is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Palo Alto Networks and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention. Thank you.
Palo Alto Networks
network security, firewall, IPS, URL filtering, threat and malware prevention, cybersecurity, enterprise security platform, threat intelligence
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 1,001-5000
- Cybersecurity Data Scientist
- Principal Java Software Engineer (SaaS Security)
- Principal SQA Engineer (Cloud Security Solutions)
- Principal SQA Engineer (Cloud Security- Feature Testing)
- Staff/Sr. Staff Software Engineer (Internet Security)
- Technical Support Engineer - Threat Specialist
- UI Engineer (Cloud Security)