Senior Threat Analyst - Virtual
At Proofpoint, we have a passion for protecting people, data, and brands from today’s advanced threats and compliance risks. We hire the best people in the business to:
- Build and enhance our proven security platform
- Blend innovation and speed in a constantly evolving cloud architecture
- Analyze new threats and offer deep insight through data-driven intel
- Collaborate with customers to help solve their toughest security challenges
We are singularly devoted to helping our customers protect what matters most. That’s why we’re a leader in next-generation cybersecurity—and why more than half of the Fortune 100 trust us as a security partner.
Senior Threat Analyst
- Member of a creative, enthusiastic, and geographically-distributed team (in a 24/7/365 "follow the sun" model) that is responsible for identifying, parameterizing, and responding quickly to spam attacks levied against some of the world's largest organizations
- Provide responses and explanations to customers who request assistance through our ticketing system
- Analyze email messages reported by customers in order to determine correct classification (spam, threat, bulk, ham)
- Be available in an on-call basis to analyze e-mail messages to determine correct classification (spam, threat, bulk, ham)
- Perform deep analyses of spam message headers & structures to identify novel spam features, and design regular-expression (regex) based rules to detect those features
- Participate in attack post-mortems to improve the team’s response to threats
- Provide responses and explanations to customers in a positive, professional manner
- Analyze misclassified messages (spam and legitimate) and make updates to spam definitions to correct their classifications.
- Ad-hoc development of tools as necessary to aid/streamline analysis activities
- Help us define the landscape, prevalence, and evolution of messaging abuse, threats, and attacks by participating in future requirements definition discussions of our products
- Conduct research on current ongoing spam and/or malware trends as needed with a goal of reporting noticed threats and developing strategies on how to address.
What you bring to the team
- Experience with Unix/Linux environments and a with a range of Unix/Linux command-line tools
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (in English), including the ability to convey highly technical information in an accessible manner;
- Familiarity/experience with Perl, Python, Bash scripting, Java or C++, SQL, especially advanced regular expressions and Unix command-line invocations;
- Knowledge on how mail delivery works, including SMTP as well as an understanding of email structure and headers;
- Working knowledge/expertise in the spam domain;
- Familiarity with malware landscape, working knowledge of various cyber threats is strongly desirable;
- Previous data mining experience is a plus
- Demonstrated analytical and creative problem-solving abilities;
- Willingness to interact with customers (web and occasionally phone-based support) to help resolve issues
- Ability to work independently yet fully integrate with worldwide, remote teams
- Can-do attitude with a focus on problem solving, product quality, and a strong desire to get the job done
- Requirements/Education and/or Equivalent Experience (including technical and non-technical capabilities)
- BSCS or equivalent, or equivalent technical and hands-on experience.
As a customer focused and driven-to-win organization with leading edge products, there are many exciting reasons to join the Proofpoint team. We believe in hiring the best the brightest and cultivating a culture of collaboration and appreciation. As we continue to grow and expand globally, we understand that hiring the right people and treating them well is key to our success! We are a multi-national company with locations in 10 countries, with each location contributing to Proofpoint’s amazing culture!
Proofpoint is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Proofpoint does not accept unsolicited resumes from external recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Services Agreement, Proofpoint will not consider or agree to payment of any recruiter or agency fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Proofpoint explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
We give organizations the power to do three critical things:
- First, we protect people from the advanced attacks that target them via email, mobile apps, and social media
- Secondly we protect the information people create from advanced attacks and compliance violations
- Finally, we equip people to respond quickly when things go wrong
Advanced Threat Protection, Information Protection, Email Protection, Social Media Protection
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 1,001-5000