Intern - Cyber Security Initiatives Technical Undergrad Summer
Exceptional service in the national interest
Qualifications We Require
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
- The candidate MUST be in Management Information Systems, Information Technology or a very closely related field of study.
- Undergraduate students should have basic knowledge and understanding of information security, and networking and should have demonstrated knowledge of at least one or more programming languages and the ability to work with more than one operating system.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- An existing US Government granted security clearance
- Working knowledge and understanding of Information Technology and Security or related field as listed in the job specification section
About Our Team
Department 9315, Cyber Security Initiatives, conducts research and development to enable capabilities that are integral to an end-to-end secure cyber environment. The department delivers a robust set of competencies that, in conjunction with other 9310 and 8960 departments, form the core and advanced protections that defend the information assets of Sandia National Laboratories. It partners with Sandia mission organizations to understand the challenges of the mission, participates in creation of unique cyber capabilities and the melding of the unique solutions to real world cyber challenges. Research areas include but are not limited to data analytics, complex system decision analytics, threat intelligence/forecasting, EmulyticsTM, network deception and moving target defense, secured cloud architectures, and secured mobile solutions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted L-level security clearance to start.
Position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) granted L-level security clearance or active clearance with another US government agency, e.g., DOD, to be considered for this position.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE L-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
What Your Job Will Be Like
- Support server management, security and network administration, and managing auxiliary services on Windows and UNIX servers
- Other possible activities include patching, upgrading, and ensuring the functionality hardware
- Provide technical support or training for systems and networks
- Perform both technical and administrative tasks to ensure functionality and efficiency of computer and telecom systems
- Work in a team environment
Sandia National Laboratories
Through science and technology, people, infrastructure, and partnerships, Sandia's mission is to meet national needs in five key areas:
Nuclear Weapons -
Ensuring the stockpile is safe, secure, reliable, and can support the United States' deterrence policy
Energy and Infrastructure Assurance -
Enhancing the surety of energy and other critical infrastructures
Reducing the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, the threat of nuclear accidents, and the potential for damage to the environment
Defense Systems and Assessments -
Addressing new threats to national security
Homeland Security -
Helping to protect our nation against terrorism
Sandia is a government-owned/contractor operated (GOCO) facility. Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin company, manages Sandia for the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration. We seek collaborative partnerships on emerging technologies that support our mission.
Nuclear Weapons, Defense, Energy, Homeland Security
Company Type: Government Agency
Company Size: 5,001-10,000