R&D Cybersecurity-Resilient Critical Control Systems
Exceptional service in the national interest
We are seeking a R&D Cybersecurity-Resilient Critical Control Sys (Cyber Researcher)
The Resilient Control Systems department is looking for exceptional and innovative R&D professionals to develop novel solutions for national security challenges in cyber-physical, operations technology (industrial control systems), and information technology systems.
Topical areas include statistics, analytics, machine learning, distributed computation, modeling & simulation, hardware (HW) security systems, embedded systems, SCADA/control systems and R&D activities aimed at improving the security of computers, digital networks, and cyber-physical systems.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct and/or lead R&D to discover and test innovative methods in cybersecurity.
- Create new understandings and capabilities by using evaluation techniques, critical review, experimentation, and engineering research & development methods.
- Collaborate with sponsor & industry partners; understand real-world threats to propose, plan, conduct, or manage research and development.
- Develop research proposals, reports, or papers to inform and contribute to the national cybersecurity community.
- Brainstorm and prototype novel cybersecurity solutions to address real-world threats on critical infrastructure.
- Explore and understand the growing cyber-physical boundary which integrates computation, networking, and physical processes.
- Learn about a physical process and the control system dynamics of a cyber-physical, operations technology system
- Perform engineering or research tasks independently or with cross-functional teams
- Support cybersecurity research across multiple critical infrastructure applications; examples include nuclear power plants, power grid, and oil & gas distribution.
- Learn new skills and expand your capabilities; apply nontraditional, creative thinking to address our nation’s most challenging cybersecurity challenges.
Qualifications We Require
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other relevant discipline.
- Experience or training in one of the following areas: statistics, analytics, machine learning, distributed computation, modeling and simulation, cyber security, or closely related field.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or relevant discipline.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects.
- Ability to conduct independent technical projects or scientific research.
- Excellent communication skills, demonstrated ability to develop and present technical ideas and results in oral and written form.
- Ability to perform effectively in a highly collaborative and team-oriented environment is particularly important
Secure critical infrastructure and national security control systems by preventing, detecting and mitigating adversary action. Provide innovative research and development of control system protection and detection technology. Build novel engineering capabilities to facilitate critical operations even in maliciously compromised environments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT
Sandia National Laboratories
Through science and technology, people, infrastructure, and partnerships, Sandia's mission is to meet national needs in five key areas:
Nuclear Weapons -
Ensuring the stockpile is safe, secure, reliable, and can support the United States' deterrence policy
Energy and Infrastructure Assurance -
Enhancing the surety of energy and other critical infrastructures
Reducing the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, the threat of nuclear accidents, and the potential for damage to the environment
Defense Systems and Assessments -
Addressing new threats to national security
Homeland Security -
Helping to protect our nation against terrorism
Sandia is a government-owned/contractor operated (GOCO) facility. Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin company, manages Sandia for the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration. We seek collaborative partnerships on emerging technologies that support our mission.
Nuclear Weapons, Defense, Energy, Homeland Security
Company Type: Government Agency
Company Size: 5,001-10,000