(Sr.) Corporate Counsel: Privacy/Data Protection
We are looking for fast thinking, A-team players to join our company.
So if you're looking for an incredible place to work that celebrates innovation, leadership and creativity, please contact us. Splunk offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits. When you join Splunk you'll be working with a team of wicked-smart people who are passionate about our products and our customers' success.
Splunk Legal is a collaborative team of lawyers and legal professionals who help accelerate Splunk’s success by providing creative and practical answers to cutting-edge legal questions. Splunk Legal delivers solutions that comply with the letter and spirit of the law and enable Splunk to grow its leadership globally.
Splunk is looking for an experienced attorney who can support Splunk’s privacy and data protection initiatives globally. This role presents an exciting opportunity to shape policy and practice inside a big data company, influence product and services development and be a key player in Splunk’s incident response program. This role reports to the Director, Risk Management and Data Protection, and will help ensure that Splunk’s contractual, legal and regulatory obligations to protect data are in place. The attorney will support transactions and operational processes involving privacy/data protection, and provide training and advice across the organization about the Splunk’s privacy/data protection program and related security requirements. Diligent and proactive, this role will require excellent business judgment and strategic thinking, along with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and flexibly in a collegial, fast-paced team environment.
Note: Title of Corporate Counsel or Senior Corporate Counsel will be based on experience in privacy law.
Responsibilities: I want to and can do that!
- Work collaboratively with legal and business managers to help identify, develop and implement process improvements related to privacy/security
- Assist in creating, tracking and updating privacy related notices, policies, standards, guidelines and processes
- Monitor Splunk practices to ensure ongoing compliance with applicable laws, policies, guidelines and processes
- Perform vendor privacy/security risk assessments as part of the Splunk’s vendor risk management program
- Draft, review, and negotiate customer/vendor contract terms regarding privacy/security
- Help support Splunk’s incident response team and manage cyber security events
- Assist with data mapping, classification and related data management/compliance programs
- Develop privacy-related training materials and assist with training sessions
- Respond to privacy-related customer/public inquiries
- Help establish and oversee Splunk’s data transfer frameworks and agreements and assist with their annual compliance reviews
- Other responsibilities as needed
Requirements: I’ve already done that or have that!
- JD degree with excellent academic credentials.
- License to practice law in California
- At least 5 full years practicing in the field of data privacy and security, in-house experience strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of the EU/Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks, GDPR, and APEC CBPR Framework
- Prior experience participating in and managing cyber security incident response
- Prior experience with HIPAA/PCI-DSS/FedRAMP strongly preferred
- Possess exceptional legal capabilities and judgment
- Familiarity with emerging technologies, network and cyber security, infrastructure resiliency, cloud computing
- Ability to prioritize and drive multiple initiatives to conclusion independently and in a timely manner
- Strong collaboration, organizational and project management skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Self-motivated, self-reliant, confident, and detail-oriented
- A good sense of humor and the ability to adapt to a fast paced and rapidly changing environment
Splunk was founded to pursue a disruptive new vision: make machine data accessible, usable and valuable to everyone. Machine data is a fast growing and pervasive part of “big data”—generated by every component of IT infrastructures, applications, mobile phone location data, website clickstreams, social data, sensors, RFID and much more.
Splunk is focused specifically on the challenges and opportunity of effectively managing massive amounts of machine data, and providing a next-generation platform for powerful new applications. Since shipping its software in 2006, Splunk now has over 10,000 customers in 100 countries around the world. These organizations are using Splunk to harness the power of their machine data for application management, IT operations and infrastructure management, cybersecurity, compliance, web intelligence, business analytics and more. Innovation is in our DNA – from technology to the way we do business. Splunk software has become a platform for machine data!
Splunk has more than 1,700 global employees, with headquarters in San Francisco, an office in Cupertino, CA and regional headquarters in London, Hong Kong and Singapore.
We’ve built a phenomenal foundation for success with a proven leadership team, highly passionate employees and unique patented software. We invite you to help us continue our drive to define a new industry and become part of an innovative, and disruptive software company.
Benefits & Perks: Wow! This is really cool!
San Francisco Only
Medical, full company paid Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter Accounts, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), 401(k), 3 weeks of PTO, sick leave, stocked micro kitchens in Splunk offices, catered lunches on Mondays, catered breakfast on Fridays, basketball hoops, ping pong, arcade games, BBQ’s, soccer, “Fun Fridays”.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Non San Francisco
Medical, full company paid Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Accounts, Commuter Accounts, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), 401(k), 3 weeks of PTO and sick leave. Our work environments vary by location however we believe in hosting amenities and fun activities to fuel our energy. You may find fully stocked micro kitchens, catered lunches on Mondays and breakfast on Fridays, basketball hoops, ping pong, arcade games, BBQ’s, soccer and “Fun Fridays”.
This isn’t a job – it’s a life changer – are you ready?
Individuals seeking employment at Splunk are considered without regards to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), genetic information, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Click here to review the US Department of Labor’s EEO is The Law notice. Please click here to review Splunk's EEO Policy Statement.
Splunk is also committed to providing access to all individuals who are seeking information from our website. Any individual using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) who experiences difficulty accessing information on any part of Splunk’s website should send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the nature of the accessibility problem and your e-mail or contact address. If the accessibility problem involves a particular page, the message should include the URL of that page.
Splunk doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and won't pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Splunk.
Splunk is the leading software platform for machine data that enables customers to gain real-time Operational Intelligence. Our company's mission is to address the challenges and opportunities of managing massive streams of machine-generated big data. More than three quarters of the Fortune 100 and thousands of enterprises, universities, government agencies and service providers use Splunk software to harness the power of their machine data for application management, IT operations, security, web intelligence, customer and business analytics and more.
Splunk helps customers solve problems in ways they could never dream before. With Splunk, all you need is a browser and your imagination.
Machine Data To Operational Intelligence
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 1,001-5000