Engineering Manager, Mobile Security
Business Careers at Square
Limitless boundaries to deliver seller value
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. And make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
We build the technology that allows Square to ensure that our sellers’ mobile devices are safe for Software PIN in Chip and PIN markets. We are a full-stack engineering team responsible for in-app remote attestation for Android and iOS, back-end tamper response services, data platform, and anomaly detection. We stay on top of mobile security vulnerabilities, threats, and attacks in the wild to design and implement detections.
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead a team of world-class engineers that are enabling Square to build products that no one else has built.
- Make pragmatic engineering decisions in a short amount of time
- Help set a broad direction and vision, put together a strategy, and implement tactical approaches to efficiently and effectively address customer needs
- Hire world class talent and provide technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to team members
- Manage projects and deliver quantifiable results in a timely manner
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across Square
- Lead a team of engineers to build security infrastructure that enables product teams to build things previously thought to be impossible.
- 6 or more years of relevant professional experience
- 1 or more years managing or leading a security-engineering team
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with product managers and engineering leaders
- Excellent software engineering aptitude and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance
- Interest in working across multiple technical stacks, including back-end microservices, and iOS/Android clients
- A passion for using security engineering as an enabler for product teams.
- Experience with using data science to solve security problems
- Experience with tamper-detection
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket and analytics on your laptop, to small business financing and marketing tools that drive new sales. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from your favorite restaurants and more fun to pay your friends back.
Buying and selling sound like simple things—and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Square is currently available in the United States, Canada, and Japan. Square offices are located in San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, St. Louis, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Tokyo.
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 1,001-5000