Senior SoC Security Engineer
Business Careers at Square
Limitless boundaries to deliver seller value
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Square Security team works to ensure the security of every transaction from swipe to receipt and beyond. We embed ourselves in other teams at Square to build world-class products for both customers and employees. Our ultimate goal is to ensure that every single experience with Square is simple, secure, and safe.
The Hardware Security team specializes in the physical, electrical, and embedded security concerns surrounding Square’s hardware products. The Hardware Security team works closely with our SoC team to architect, develop, and manufacture Square custom silicon that powers our products. We are looking for smart, motivated engineers who want to break, refine, and build amazing things with us; the primary focus of this position is on SoC security architecture and design.
This is a senior, high-impact role; you will be expected to promote better security and design practices within the hardware organization, as well as throughout Square.
- Define and develop the security architecture for Square’s custom SoC’s, including leading the team through design and verification of security features, and integration of the finished silicon into our products
- Balance security, compliance, performance, power and cost for a diverse portfolio of embedded devices and the associated manufacturing and backend infrastructure
- Prototype and test countermeasures that ensure a wide variety of security properties in silicon
- Review silicon production, packaging, and test security processes to ensure that Square silicon production flow meets our security goals
- Subject matter expertise in design of silicon security features, including secure boot, key management, cryptographic acceleration, debug and test access control, memory protection, and trusted execution environments
- Strong electrical engineering background and digital design expertise
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in SoC design and verification over multiple product cycles (must include significant contribution to RTL for both design and testing)
- Deep understanding of hardware/software interactions, and the ability to design robust, easy-to-use interfaces to expose to firmware/software
- Pre- and post-silicon validation experience, including system bringup experience, familiarity with using FPGAs to validate security features, and performance characterization
- Extensive knowledge of state of the art cryptographic architectures for extremely low cost and low power solutions
- Demonstrated experience in at least one of the following: defeating physical anti-tamper mechanisms, performing and defending against side-channel / fault-injection / glitching attacks, and/or reverse-engineering and exploitation of embedded systems hardware and protocols
- Knowledge of modern power management techniques, bus architectures, and peripheral design
- Experience integrating multiple different CPU architectures into silicon
- Extensive knowledge of physical anti tamper mechanisms (from initial concept to deployment and maintenance)
- Solid understanding of protocol design and analysis, firmware and embedded OS design principles
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket and analytics on your laptop, to small business financing and marketing tools that drive new sales. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from your favorite restaurants and more fun to pay your friends back.
Buying and selling sound like simple things—and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Square is currently available in the United States, Canada, and Japan. Square offices are located in San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, St. Louis, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Tokyo.
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 1,001-5000