Manager, Security Operations - Starbucks Technology Center
Areas of Interest: Cyber Operations
report a problem
As the lead manager for Security Operations you will play a key role in the leadership, development and daily operations of the new Starbucks Technology Center located on the Arizona State University campus. The Starbucks Technology Center will engage with ASU students to help accelerate the Starbucks Technology roadmap and continue the fast-paced innovation that is driving the evolving retail experience for Starbucks customers. The first of its kind for Starbucks, the Starbucks Technology Center will change the way we are able to drive innovation, accelerating our ability to transform experiences for our partners and customers.
Information Security at Starbucks
Information Security at Starbucks is defined by the mission to protect the brand and its digital footprint. As a consistently awarded “most recognized brand”, the responsibility requires multiple services to remain successful. These services include, but are not limited to, web fraud services, network protection, endpoint protection, identity and access services, and various programs that provide oversight to the enterprise. All of these together establish Starbucks as a leader in retail security services.
This position will participate in the build out of a new innovation office for early in career talent supporting Starbucks Technology. You will have the opportunity to work directly with one of the largest engineering schools in the country to source talented students for internships and innovative projects that will accelerate Starbucks strategy in the Security space.
As the manager of Security Operations for Starbucks Technology Center, you will build and lead a team of Security students and early in career professionals through a variety of projects and programs that will further the global risk efforts for Starbucks. You’ll have the opportunity to identify new talent and work directly with students and University faculty to identify projects and programs that will ready students to tackle security problems and threats in the corporate security space. You will lead and train young professionals in vulnerability and certificate management; helping them develop skills in consulting, influencing and execution across Technology teams globally. This is an exciting opportunity to make a difference for young professionals and develop skilled, talented protectors of information, people and brand for the world. An interest and experience across multiple Security domains such as endpoint protection, vulnerability management, certificate and PKI management, and project/program experience will be key to success in this role as student projects and areas of focus will adjust based on the needs of the business.
You will also direct the planning and coordination of enterprise wide information security programs for Starbucks and participate in the development of strategy and roadmaps for Security. You will use a variety of tools to investigate alerts, indicators of compromise, log data and operational health for the Starbucks Security platform.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
- Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
- Sets goals, develops organizational capability, relates information security system solutions to broader organization strategies and objectives, and models how we work together.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company information security and functional programs to ensure the success of Starbucks.
- Acts as the key liaison between Information Protection Services (IPS), students, University faculty and designated business customers.
- Builds partnerships across all organization levels within Information Technology, internal business customers, technical support resources, and external business partners and faculty.
- Leads and provides oversight to ongoing operation of information security systems and processes for specific functional areas or the department.
- Oversees resolution of day-to-day operations issues to ensure user, business and production requirements are met. Ensure communications and documentation of status, root cause and resolutions are provided for issues within the functional area.
- Provides leadership on project teams as appropriate to ensure successful completion on time, and within budget.
- Will participate in the recruitment for and ongoing leadership of graduate and undergraduate students. Will assign work, manage student schedules and support the design and execution of innovative projects for students and early in career hires.
- Will engage with Arizona State University faculty to build new partnerships and student engagements that further the success of the Starbucks Technology Office and contribute to the strategic plan.
Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization
- Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Develops multi-year and annual goals, objectives and budgets for implementation, sustainment and support within the designated business areas.
- Ensures information security system and process support documentation is created, updated and used as intended to assist with production trouble-shooting and resolution.
- May manage budget for assigned areas pertaining to technology acquisition, maintenance contracts and forecasted operating expenses.
- Oversees testing of new system functionality and quality assurance for all information security systems fixes, enhancements, changes and implementations within their functional area or geography.
- Provides leadership oversight on the design, implementation, and integration of information security systems and processes for specific business areas or departments.
Business Requirements - Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
- Collaborates with business and IT partners to plan, prioritize and resource initiatives.
- Extends information security technology support internationally to support global business operations.
- Identifies trends and gaps with existing information security systems and processes. Identifies opportunities and proposes projects to improve systems, processes and infrastructure.
- Monitors the performance of strategic information security technology providers. Escalates issues to relationship managers of those vendors.
- Manages operation and implementation of successful improvements for identified areas that relate directly to the IT services provided to the Starbucks business.
- Ensures that technology changes to the technical environment have documented support plans that have been accepted by the affected business constituents and support teams.
- Provides input to other technology groups regarding information security service delivery.
Partner Development & Team Building - Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Challenges and inspires team members to achieve business results.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partners, business and customer results
- Manages and develops a skilled team with thorough knowledge of technologies and services, and ensures that work is done in accordance with established standards.
- Creates a culture of achievement, creativity, problem solving and trust.
- Oversees training and development of partners and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Create ways for partners to maintain a strong connection to Starbucks culture, mission and values.
Summary of Experience Years
- Experience in information security, compliance or data privacy disciplines 7-10
- Experience developing and delivering technology platforms or services 5-7
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Ability to engage in difficult conversations that result in positive, actionable outcomes.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, with an aptitude for translating complex, technical subjects into clear, business-oriented communications.
- Ability to work across diverse organizations and lead complex internal and external project teams.
- Ability to present strategic and tactical roadmaps and objectives to all levels of leadership, advising and influencing.
- Technical background and understanding in multiple areas of information security technologies and principles.
- Certifications such as CISSP, CISM, CIPM or others focused on information security, data privacy or information risk management is desired
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to act as a business partner in support of business units
- Ability to build relationships
- Effective management and supervisory skills, including planning, organizing, developing, and monitoring partner performance
- Ability to maintain strong partnerships and collaborate with Starbucks headquarters from a remote office.
- Ability to lead day to day office operations with limited direction.
- Ability to engage, inspire and develop early in career talent.
- Ability to work outside of standard business hours to accommodate student schedules.
- Ability to build strong partnerships with Arizona State University faculty and staff.
Starbucks is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
All Starbucks Job Descriptions are confidential and proprietary, and are to be handled in accordance with the Starbucks Standards of Business Conduct. Accordingly, job descriptions cannot be shared with individuals outside of the company without the written permission of the director Compensation, Starbucks Coffee Company.
Share this job:
Opportunity to be more than an employee, to be a partner. Join us and connect with something bigger.
By bringing people together over coffee, Starbucks has become one of the world’s best-known and best-loved companies. We purchase, roast and serve award-winning coffee. We also offer Italian-style espresso beverages, cold blended beverages, delicious food, premium teas and selected compact discs through our retail stores. Working at Starbucks is a lot like working with your friends. When you work here, you’re not an “employee” – we call ourselves “partners” because we believe in shared common goals and mutual success. We’re dedicated to serving ethically sourced coffee, caring for the environment and giving back to the communities where we do business. Starbucks is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Company Industry: Retail
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 10,001+
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 10,001+