Counsel, IS, Data Privacy, and Business Transformation
The Hershey Company is seeking a highly competent, detail-oriented attorney with at least six years of relevant experience to serve as Counsel, IS, Data Privacy, and Business Transformation. This attorney will be responsible for providing legal support for all of Hershey's information technology and digitalization-related activities and initiatives, including, but not limited to, enterprise resource planning (e.g., SAP), data lake expansion, cloud service applications, data analytics, data governance and democratization, data privacy and other data regulations, cybersecurity, technology innovation, and Internet of Things (supporting sales, marketing, manufacturing, and research & development). The Counsel, IS, Data Privacy, and Business Transformation will serve as the Law business partner to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and the Senior Director, Enterprise Connectivity. This position will also support the Associate General Counsel, Securities & Governance and Business Transformation, to provide legal advice and counseling on enterprise-level continuous improvement initiatives, including Hershey's efforts to improve global efficiency and effectiveness and streamline its operating model.
Candidates must be exceptional communicators with proven ability to facilitate discussions and issue resolution among Law, IS, and business leaders. A strong grasp of information technology and data privacy is essential, and strong project management skills are preferred.
J.D. degree from an ABA accredited school with superior academic credentials. Bar admission in at least one U.S state. Minimum 6 years solid law firm/ in-house corporate law department experience in area(s) of relevant expertise. Demonstrated track record of integrity and outstanding achievement. Foreign language proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese desired, but not required.
- Serve as primary legal advisor to the CIO, the Senior Director, Enterprise Connectivity and their respective leadership teams
- Advise on legal implications and risks associated with all IS capital and expense projects, including short- and long-term project strategies and roadmaps
- Assist IS leadership team in developing strategies and solutions to advance Hershey's technology and data capabilities, including data analytics and data governance
- Apply continuous improvement mindset to IS processes and procedures to help mitigate legal risks in highly-dynamic, continuously evolving fields
- Advise on all IS and other technology-related contracts and agreements, including third-party service agreements and nondisclosure agreements
- Effectively manage use of internal legal resources and outside counsel
- Serve as liaison between the Company's IS and Law leadership teams
- Advise on legal implications of technology-related risks, incident response and remediation planning, and cyber events
- Advise on all privacy-related aspects of Hershey's e-commerce and digitization efforts
- Assist other members of the Law Department in reviewing technology and privacy-related aspects of commercial contracts with suppliers, distributors, retailers and other third parties
- Serve as legal advisor to the Company's Privacy Committee on issues of data privacy
- Identify and help manage emerging legal trends and proactively develop strategies and tools that will help the business benefit from, and manage new risks associated with, such emerging trends and developments
- Stay informed of significant technology, data privacy, digitalization, regulatory and legal developments and communicate regularly with other members of the Law Department to ensure awareness and appropriate management of such developments and their potential impact on the business
- Support the Associate General Counsel, Securities & Governance and Business Transformation, to provide legal advice and counseling on enterprise-level continuous improvement initiatives, including Hershey's efforts to improve global efficiency and effectiveness and streamline its operating model
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Ability to apply process and design thinking to support technology teams addressing technical and infrastructure contracts, statements of work, and service agreements; ability to establish guidelines for terms & conditions for a high volume of contract processing.
- Ability to identify and assess legal implications in technology projects, managed services, and technical risk assessments.
- Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple competing priorities and provide practical legal advice. Must possess strong writing, analytical, negotiating and communication skills. Should have strong business understanding and judgment.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with internal business units as well as with senior management. Ability to work with a wide range of internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to analyze advanced and complex transactions and propose innovative, creative and workable solutions.
- Ability to exercise independent, informed and considered judgment with minimal supervision and at the same time work as team player with other functional areas.
- Ability to execute tasks and deliver results in a timely manner and has experience in managing complex, cross-functional, multi-jurisdictional and long-term projects.
- Cultural awareness of and experience in working in emerging markets, foreign language skills (Spanish and/or Portuguese) desired but not required.
- Knowledge of and experience working under regulatory, legal and compliance requirements for a multinational company (CPG, manufacturing, food or retail preferred but not required) or similar relevant experience.
- Strong desire for personal and professional development.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school required; information technology certifications or degree preferred
- 6+ years of relevant experience with a major law firm and/or in-house corporate law department experience
- Experience with technology teams and advising on privacy and other data regulations; information technology background preferred
- Experience with technology agreements and advising on implementation or upgrade of large technology projects (e.g. cloud services, outsourcing technical services or data center operations, major upgrades to enterprise resource planning platforms such as SAP), with strong preference for international experience
- Capital and expense technology project management experience
- Ability to summarize and explain legal documents to technical and non-technical business leaders and to capture technology and service concerns and goals in the legal agreements
- Experience in coordinating outside counsel and other advisors both nationally and internationally
- Experience and knowledge in risk management and evaluation
- Admission to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or eligible for admission on proof of practice elsewhere
- Experience in regulatory and/or packaged goods environment is preferred
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
The Hershey Company
The Hershey Company, headquartered in Hershey, Pa., is a global confectionery leader known for bringing goodness to the world through its chocolate, sweets, mints and other great-tasting snacks. Hershey has approximately 22,000 employees around the world who work every day to deliver delicious, quality products. The company, which has more than 80 brands around the world that drive over $7.4 billion in annual revenues, includes such iconic brand names as Hershey's, Reese's, Hershey's Kisses, Jolly Rancher and Ice Breakers. Hershey is focused on growing its presence in key international markets while continuing to build its competitive advantage in North America. Additionally, Hershey is poised to expand its portfolio into categories beyond confectionery, finding new ways to bring goodness to people everywhere.
At Hershey, goodness has always been about more than delicious products. For 120 years, Hershey has been committed to good business by operating fairly, ethically and sustainably to make a positive impact on society. This means contributing to a better life for its employees, consumers, communities, and, ultimately, creating a bright future for children in need. This commitment is exemplified by Milton Hershey School, established in 1909 by the company's founder and administered by Hershey Trust Company. The children who attend the school receive education, housing, and medical care — thriving as direct beneficiaries of The Hershey Company's success.
North American manufacturer of quality chocolate and sugar confectionery products.
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 10,001+