Technical Investigator - Security
DO WORK THAT MOVES PEOPLE
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the job
Uber's Security teams work to protect information across the company. The Global Investigations team focuses on preventing, detecting, attributing, disrupting, and addressing all forms of abuse. The team is a tight group of skilled engineers and technical investigators. As a Technical Investigator, you will be responsible for working with the team and at the direction of Legal to investigate cases.
This is a hands-on position tasked with investigating abuse both on the Uber platform as well as against the business. You will solve complex puzzles, piecing together the most obscure clues, while building and communicating solid work product. You will also assist in reducing our attack surface going forward to minimize the abuse in the first place. Candidates must have a driving passion for hunting down the bad guys, as well as the intuition and judgement required to efficiently prioritize their work. Candidates must have excellent communication and problem solving skills, along with experience dealing with sensitive matters effectively and respectfully.
What you'll do
- Investigate complex cases involving threats against the business globally.
- Conduct targeted research on matters impacting Uber and its community.
- Design, develop, and improve on technical products used to facilitate investigations.
- Manage multiple cases and projects at once while effectively prioritizing time based on team priorities.
- Produce concise yet thorough reports as needed for internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with our Security Engineering teams to continue to refine and formalize detection methodologies to support our programs.
What you'll need
Along with the extreme passion for the hunt, we’re looking for solid technical generalists. While you don’t need every skill on the list, you should be an expert in at least a few, a casual user of others, and a conceptual understanding of all
- Experience with technical forensic methodologies and software
- Subject matter expertise in complex, adversarial domains (eg: payments fraud, advertising network abuse, anti-money laundering and collusion, incident response, bad actor attribution, anti-spam, etc)
- Comfortable working within a UNIX environment
- UNIX Shell scripting and pipeline
- Navigate large, dirty, data sets, quickly
- Intermediate to complex SQL
- Statistical expertise: dimensionality reduction, clustering, outlier detection, or time series analysis
- Concomitant expertise in R or other statistical programming languages
- Splunk, ELK, Sumologic experience
- i2 ANB / iBase, Maltego, Palantir, or other link analysis platforms
- Internet Architecture & Protocols (BGP,IP,TCP,DNS,HTTP)
- CCE/CFCE/EnCe/CBE strongly preferred
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
mobile, transportation, logistics, technology
Company Type: Privately Held
Company Size: 5,001-10,000