Senior Security Engineer
The primary purpose of the non-SOC, Senior Security Engineer is to onboard new customers through service turn up, working on large customer projects, and resolving complex Tier 2/3 customer technical issues related to our Managed Security Services (MSS) offerings with minimal outside involvement. The Senior Security Engineer provides expert level research and analysis for planning, organizing, and managing corporate-wide security functions. In this role you will work directly with the customer, Tier 2&3 support, System, Network & Security Engineering teams, Development, Product Management, and 3rd Party vendors to lead & own resolution of issues.
- Manage multiple customer turn-ups and projects simultaneously and resolve issues using direct access to systems, company information resources, laboratory simulations, and engineering problem solving techniques.
- With limited supervision, produce documented frameworks or architectures, which describe and are used to manage the implementation of technical security environments
- Research developments in their assigned technology disciplines, determines business requirements, proposes changes, and develops migration and implementation plans as needed
- Provide input into the security technology plan for the customer, and ensures that plans for their assigned technology discipline integrate effectively with other aspects of the technical infrastructure
- Understands and effectively articulates the implications and impact that proposed architectural changes will have on the business (to technical and non-technical audiences)
- Install, configure and troubleshoot vendor provided tools and to be able to provide training on the tools to junior engineers
- Deliver presentations via training sessions, web pages, or 1-to-1 training to the SOC engineers on processes, and procedures that are being implemented
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- 7+ years of hands-on experience configuration and management of firewalls and other security device engineering in an Enterprise IT or Managed Security Services environment
- Must have, or be able to obtain, at least a secret level government clearance
- Extensive Linux/Unix command line skills and knowledge with the ability to troubleshoot security, networking, and system issues at an advanced level with minimal support
- Extensive experience with both physical and network/host level security
- Understanding of firewalls, switches, and IP routing hardware
- Networking knowledge on par with that required for a CCNA certification
- Proven ability to troubleshoot, correctly diagnose, and correct identified security deficiencies
- Ability to take an operational and project leadership role
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Ability to travel minimally
- Familiarity with some of the following products: (This is a small list of the products which are currently being deployed to our MSS customers. In addition to the below products, knowledge of other security products in the marketplace is considered a plus as new product offerings are continuously being evaluated. The Senior Security Engineer may be asked for assistance or guidance in evaluating, training, and integrating any new product to be offered to our customers):
- Firewall/UTM Products
- Fortinet Fortigate
- Cisco ASA
- Juniper SRX
- Palo Alto PA series
- Checkpoint Appliances
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS) Products
- Cisco IPS/IDS
- Cisco/Sourcefire Firepower/Firesight
- McAfee Intrushield
- McAfee ePO and Endpoint Protection
- Fireye Web MPS, Email MPS
- Arbor Pravail APS
- Bluecoat Proxy
- Cisco IOS
- Juniper SA
Even better if you also have:
- Federal Top Secret Security Clearance
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
- Security Certifications: CISSP, CISA, CISM
- Network Certifications: CCNA, CCNP
- Checkpoint Certifications: CCSA or CCSE
- ITIL certification
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Company Type: Public Company
Company Size: 1